30 November 2011

DIY

Things on the craft front have been in rest mode the last few days because I've been gripped by DIY fever. There has been a slow and steady accumulation of little jobs on my DIY to do list, things like glossing, touching up, outdoor painting and curtain adjustments (you mean safety pins discretely holding up the hems for a few months isn't in vogue any more hee hee).

One job on my list was a biggie, one that I've never attempted before..........wallpapering. It started quite a few months back where every time I passed the large wall on my stairs it's blankness looked quite lonely and in need of something. I've never grown up with wallpaper being a decorating norm, South African homes aren't papered much if at all, but living in England i've admired lots of wallpapered rooms and also oohed and aahed at copious amounts of glimpses on house related tv shows. I'm not brave enough to paper an entire room because I feel more comfortable with unpatterned walls around me at home........ then I see other people's rooms where all walls are papered and I love it......still not brave enough yet. So on Sunday we took the plunge and purchased the first wallpaper in ten years for the stairs wall and Monday I papered. We all love it and I'm pleased with my efforts. I did opt for Paste the Wall paper because the thought of getting to grips papering and dealing with wet paper at the same time filled me with the jitters. It was like scrapbooking on a grand scale......well that was what I kept telling myself, if I can negotiate detailed paper cutting mini size then this would be okay right?

Yesterday I touched up a bedroom wall section while catching up on the phone to my friend Ruth, company when working is always good. Today's job is the curtain hem take-up and some mending while the machine is out. And while it's out I may also make a bag....will see.

1 comment:

Sue Pinner said...

oh! wow funny your chose the same paper lol
Doesn't it make a difference though, sort of finished and cosier some how
Well done you for tackling the stair wall...the hardest place to wallpaper with that long drop
My staircase is crying out for paper l just know it but other half hates wallpaper so l'm working on him with a bit here and there lol
Where will you paper next then?
Our bedroom for me...the paste the wall is wonderful stuff
X